Monday, July 02, 2007

Former Apprentice TV Show star gives lesson in self respect

Carolyn Kepcher
Take the high road - a path to self respect
Monday, July 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM


Sooner or later, we all get burned by someone we work with. How we handle it says everything about us.
It could be a confidence betrayed, an idea stolen or someone stepping on you to make themselves look good. The reality is there are people who are motivated by an opportunity to get ahead in the game no matter who gets in their way, including you.
Recently, I had to deal with this scenario.
I attended an event where I fully expected to cross paths with a certain someone who burned me quite badly a while back.
I didn't look forward to it, but I wasn't going to let his mistake keep me from doing what I had to do.
When I saw him, there were a dozen things I felt like saying, none of them kind. But when he approached me, I kept myself in check.
I shook the hand he extended, looked him in the eye and acknowledged his greeting. And then I turned my attention elsewhere.
I could have said something to embarrass him, or taken a jab to relieve a fraction of the anger brewing inside of me at the mere sound of his voice. Fortunately, I was better than that.
Judy Garland once said, "Be a first-rate version of yourself, not a second-rate version of someone else."
When you choose to take the high road in any difficult situation, you are granting to yourself the security of keeping the first-rate version of yourself in check.
On the other hand, when you forego dignity and self-restraint and take an opportunity to exact revenge on any level, you're stepping into a second-rate version of somebody else. You're being just like the person who offended you in the first place.
Revenge will provide those watching with plenty of gossip - and possibly even a sliver of respect for your chutzpah. But it will be short-lived.
By taking the high road, you show others that you are above all that has happened, that your time is too valuable to engage in it any further. You keep your eyes and your goals on the positive, on what new opportunities you can pursue. And, over time, you let people see for themselves who is the true professional.
No, taking the high road doesn't provide short-term satisfaction. But it does accomplish something much more important: keeping the first-class version of yourself intact.
The high road can be a long and difficult one - especially if you have been burned by someone you once considered a friend. But it's the road you should always take. Trust me, after a period of time, you will be able to sleep at night - and be glad about your choice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home